Residents of the Town of Petawawa, City of Pembroke and Township of Laurentian Valley are reminded how to handle the excess amount of yard waste and branches they may have this time of year.
Leaf & Yard Waste
- Leaf and yard waste includes leaves, garden plants, grass clippings and hedge trimmings.
- Leaf and yard waste will only be collected on your regular collection day during the designated weeks of May 6th and May 20th (please note changes in collection day due to Victoria Day for Pembroke & Laurentian Valley residents). It is collected separately from other materials.
- Leaf and yard waste must be placed at the curb in reusable containers (lids off), cardboard boxes or paper leaf and yard waste bags.
- Leaf and yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Individual bag/container must not exceed 50 lbs (23kgs).
- Leaf and yard waste can also be dropped off at the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre for no charge.
- Bundled branches will be collected with leaf and yard waste on the dates described above.
- Individual branches must be no more than 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter or 4 feet (1.2 m) in length.
- Bundled branches must be no more than 2 feet (0.6 m) in diameter.
- Bundles must not exceed 50 lbs (23kgs).
- Larger branches can be dropped off at the Waste Recovery Centre; tipping fees do apply.
- Green carts ONLY collected on green cart collection days.
- When placing small, loose branches in your green cart, the lid must be closed. Carts that contain branches that prevent the lid from closing will not be collected.
- Do not place bundled branches in your green cart as it causes processing issues at the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre.
Once leaf and yard waste is collected, it is brought to the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre for composting. Leaf and yard waste is composted separately from regular green cart material.