The 2018/2019 Collection Schedules are being mailed out the week of March 5th to residents in Petawawa, Pembroke and Laurentian Valley. The annual calendar, distributed by the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre on behalf of the Municipalities, outlines collection days for waste, recycling and green carts as well as special collections such as leaf and yard waste and Spring and Fall large item collection.
The collection schedules begin April 1st. The layout and design of the schedules is the same as previous years and there are no significant program changes to note. Residents are encouraged to review the calendar to ensure they are meeting all the requirements when setting material at the curb or roadside for collection.
“Take a minute to review the collection schedule, especially the sorting guide. It has some excellent reminders of what goes where when it comes to recycling, compost and garbage.” Comments Dave Unrau, Director of Public Works for the Town of Petawawa. “You can also find out the dates of special collections such as large item and review what is accepted and what’s not. Any time material is set-out incorrectly it won’t be collected.”
The collection schedules include many features to assist residents in participating in the local waste management programs:
- 12 month calendar outlining collection days using symbols.
- A map to determine collection days.
- A detailed list outlining what is accepted in the yellow bin, green cart, blue box and garbage. This is detachable from the calendar to be posted in a convenient location for regular review.
- Information on proper set-out requirements such as clearance around the green cart, weight and size limits of material and proper placement of collection containers.
- Details on special pick-ups such as leaf & yard waste and large item collection.
- Information on Electronic & Hazardous Waste including the 2018 Environmental Days.
Copies of the schedules will be delivered by March 16th.