Large Item Collection is occurring as scheduled.
Spring collection of large household goods will be happening soon for residents in the Town of Petawawa, City of Pembroke and Township of Laurentian Valley. Acceptable items must not be placed curbside earlier than Sunday, May 24th.
Residents are reminded to not approach collection staff in order to respect physical distancing. Scavenging of materials that are set-out for large item collection is not permitted under Municipal By-Laws and the current Provincial Emergency Measures in place.
In order for material to be collected it must be properly separated into four different piles:
Scrap Metal Items & Non-Freon Metal Appliances
- BBQ’s, stainless steel sinks, bikes, exercise equipment, microwave ovens and non-freon metal appliances (oven, washer, dryer, dishwasher). Small metal appliances (irons, kettles, toasters) should be placed in your yellow bin (remove and discard cords in garbage).
- Fridges, freezers, air conditioners, water coolers, dehumidifiers. Freon does not have to be removed. Remove lids & doors from fridges/freezers.
Acceptable Large Items
- Artificial Christmas Trees (Remove from cardboard box)
- Boxsprings and mattresses
- Broken garbage cans, plastic totes, etc. (Must be labeled “For Collection”)
- Carpets and underlay
- Furniture (desks, couches)
- Luggage & hockey bags larger than 9” x 14” x 22”
- Mops, brooms, shovels & rakes (non-metal)
- Plastic – Large, bulky household plastic items (children’s swimming pools, lawn chairs, outdoor toys)
- Pool covers
- TV’s, computers, radios, speakers
Residents are reminded of the other set out requirements for Large Item Collection:
- Items smaller than 9” x 14” x 22” or items that can fit into a standard garbage bag or can WILL NOT be collected.
- Material placed out in cardboard boxes or garbage bags or containers WILL NOT be collected.
- Construction and Renovation material such as toilets, wood, windows and doors and wooden pallets WILL NOT be collected.
- Tires and hazardous waste such as propane tanks, paint cans and fluorescent light bulbs WILL NOT be collected.
- Clothing and textiles WILL NOT be collected.
- Acceptable materials must be manageable by two people and cannot exceed 80 lbs, 27 cubic feet or 6 feet long.
A Communications Representative will be working on behalf of all Municipalities to inspect set-outs of materials and provide information on improper set-out of items. Similar to the collection contractor, please do not approach the Communications Representative to maintain proper physical distancing.
DO NOT place items out earlier than Sunday, May 24th. Collection will occur the week of May 25th on your regular collection day. Additional information on Municipal Waste Management programs is available on your collection schedule or at https://ovwrc.com/large-item-collection/