Collection of large household goods will be happening the week of September 14th for residents in the Town of Petawawa, City of Pembroke and Township of Laurentian Valley. Acceptable items must not be placed curbside earlier than Sunday, September 13th.
Mark Behm, Township of Laurentian Valley Public Works Manager, wants residents to be aware of some precautions that are in place to protect residents and the collection contractor, Miller Waste. “Residents are reminded to not approach collection staff in order to respect physical distancing. Scavenging of materials that are set-out for large item collection is not permitted under Municipal By-Laws.”
In order for material to be collected it must be properly separated into four different piles:
Scrap Metal Items & Non-Freon Metal Appliances
- BBQ’s, stainless steel sinks, bikes, exercise equipment, microwave ovens and non-freon metal appliances (oven, washer, dryer, dishwasher). Small metal appliances (irons, kettles, toasters) should be placed in your yellow bin (remove and discard cords in garbage).
- Fridges, freezers, air conditioners, water coolers, dehumidifiers. Freon does not have to be removed. Remove lids & doors from fridges/freezers.
Acceptable Large Items
- Artificial Christmas Trees (Remove from cardboard box)
- Boxsprings and mattresses
- Broken garbage cans, plastic totes, etc. (Must be labeled “For Collection”)
- Carpets and underlay
- Furniture (desks, couches)
- Luggage & hockey bags larger than 9” x 14” x 22”
- Mops, brooms, shovels & rakes (non-metal)
- Plastic – Large, bulky household plastic items (children’s swimming pools, lawn chairs, outdoor toys)
- Pool covers
- TV’s, computers, radios, speakers
“Set-out of non-acceptable items continued to be a problem during the large item collection in the Spring.” States Mr. Behm. “This collection is intended for larger household items like furniture and mattresses which means small items are not collected. Items like coffee makers, flower pots, shoes and clothing may be placed out with your regular garbage in a bag or container, not during large item collection. Bags of garbage, materials in cardboard boxes and construction and renovation materials will not be picked-up either.”
Residents are reminded of the other set out requirements for Large Item Collection:
- Items smaller than 9” x 14” x 22” or items that can fit into a standard garbage bag or can WILL NOT be collected.
- Material placed out in cardboard boxes or garbage bags or containers WILL NOT be collected.
- Construction and Renovation material such as toilets, wood, windows and doors and wooden pallets WILL NOT be collected.
- Tires and hazardous waste such as propane tanks, paint cans and fluorescent light bulbs WILL NOT be collected.
- Clothing and textiles WILL NOT be collected.
- Acceptable materials must be manageable by two people and cannot exceed 80 lbs, 27 cubic feet or 6 feet long.
DO NOT place items out earlier than Sunday, September 13th. Collection will occur the week of September 14th on your regular collection day. Additional information on Municipal Waste Management programs is available on your collection schedule or at https://ovwrc.com/large-item-collection/