August 29, 2022 – Collection of large household goods will be happening soon for residents in the Town of Petawawa, City of Pembroke and Township of Laurentian Valley. Acceptable items must not be placed curbside earlier than Sunday, September 11. Residents are reminded that scavenging of materials that are set out for large item collection is not permitted under Municipal By-Laws.
For material to be collected, it must be properly separated into four different piles:
Scrap Metal Items & Non-Freon Metal Appliances
- BBQs, stainless steel sinks, bikes, exercise equipment, microwave ovens and non-freon metal appliances (oven, washer, dryer, dishwasher). Small metal appliances (irons, kettles, toasters) should be placed in your yellow bin (remove and discard cords in garbage) and set out on your regular yellow bin collection day.
- Fridges, freezers, air conditioners, water coolers, dehumidifiers. Freon does not have to be removed. Remove lids and doors from fridges/freezers.
Acceptable Large Items
- Artificial Christmas Trees (Remove from cardboard box)
- Box springs and mattresses
- Broken garbage cans, plastic totes, etc. (Must be labeled “For Collection”)
- Carpets and underlay
- Furniture (desks, couches)
- Luggage & hockey bags larger than 9” x 14” x 22”
- Mops, brooms, shovels & rakes (non-metal)
- Plastic – Large, bulky household plastic items (children’s swimming pools, lawn chairs, outdoor toys)
- Pool covers
- TV’s, computers, radios, speakers
“During the spring large item collection, we continued to see material set out in cardboard boxes and garbage bags.” States Mark Behm, Township of Laurentian Valley Public Works Manager. “Cardboard boxes, garbage bags, small items and hazardous waste such as propane tanks and paint cans will not be picked up during the large item collection.”
Residents are reminded of the other set out requirements for large item collection:
- Items smaller than 9” x 14” x 22” or items that can fit into a standard garbage bag or can WILL NOT be collected.
- Material placed out in cardboard boxes or garbage bags or containers WILL NOT be collected.
- Construction and Renovation material such as toilets, windows and doors WILL NOT be collected.
- Wood (i.e. lumber, plywood, etc.) and wooden pallets WILL NOT be collected.
- Tires and hazardous waste such as propane tanks, paint cans and fluorescent light bulbs WILL NOT be collected.
- Clothing and textiles WILL NOT be collected.
- Acceptable materials must be manageable by two people and cannot exceed 80 lbs, 27 cubic feet and 6 feet long.
- Items which are placed out for collection that do not meet the requirements and are not collected, must be removed immediately by the homeowner.
DO NOT place items out earlier than Sunday, September 11. Collection will occur September 12 to 16 on your regular collection day. Additional information on Municipal Waste Management programs is available on your collection schedule or at www.ovwrc.com.