Collection of large household goods will be happening soon for residents in the Town of Petawawa, City of Pembroke and Township of Laurentian Valley. Acceptable items must not be placed curbside earlier than Sunday, September 12th. Residents are reminded to respect requirements for physical distancing and not to approach collection staff. Scavenging of materials that are set-out for large item collection is not permitted under Municipal By-Laws.
In order for material to be collected it must be properly separated into four different piles:
Scrap Metal Items & Non-Freon Metal Appliances
- BBQ’s, stainless steel sinks, bikes, exercise equipment, microwave ovens and non-freon metal appliances (oven, washer, dryer, dishwasher). Small metal appliances (irons, kettles, toasters) should be placed in your yellow bin (remove and discard cords in garbage) and set-out on your regular yellow bin collection day.
- Fridges, freezers, air conditioners, water coolers, dehumidifiers. Freon does not have to be removed prior to set-out. Remove lids & doors from fridges/freezers.
Acceptable Large Items
- Artificial Christmas Trees (Remove from cardboard box)
- Boxsprings and mattresses
- Broken garbage cans, plastic totes, etc. (Must be labeled “For Collection”)
- Carpets and underlay
- Furniture (desks, couches)
- Luggage & hockey bags larger than 9” x 14” x 22”
- Mops, brooms, shovels & rakes (non-metal)
- Plastic – Large, bulky household plastic items (children’s swimming pools, lawn chairs, outdoor toys)
- Pool covers
- TV’s, computers, radios, speakers
“This collection is for larger household items such as furniture and mattresses. It is not meant for smaller items like clothing, flower pots or dishes. Smaller items may be placed out with your regular garbage in a bag or container, on your regular garbage collection day.” Said Mark Behm, Township of Laurentian Valley Public Works Manager. “Material in cardboard boxes and garbage bags will also not be picked up for large item collection. We observed a lot of material set-out in cardboard boxes during the Spring pick-up.”
Residents are reminded of the other set out requirements for Large Item Collection:
- Items smaller than 9” x 14” x 22” or items that can fit into a standard garbage bag or can WILL NOT be collected.
- Material placed out in cardboard boxes or garbage bags or containers WILL NOT be collected.
- Construction and Renovation material such as toilets, windows and doors and WILL NOT be collected.
- Wood (i.e. lumber, plywood, etc.) and wooden pallets WILL NOT be collected.
- Tires and hazardous waste such as propane tanks, paint cans and fluorescent light bulbs WILL NOT be collected.
- Clothing and textiles WILL NOT be collected.
- Acceptable materials must be manageable by two people and cannot exceed 80 lbs, 27 cubic feet and 6 feet long.
DO NOT place items out earlier than Sunday, September 12th. Collection will occur September 13th to 17th on your regular collection day. Additional information on Municipal Waste Management programs is available on your collection schedule or by clicking here.