Our Vision is to operate an Integrated Waste Management Facility that emphasizes the importance of waste reduction, diversion of waste from landfill and education to the community as the cornerstone principals of waste management.
The Ottawa Valley Waste Management Board (OVWMB) and its employees are committed to “Working Together to Walk Lightly on the Environment” with environmental protection, health and safety and fiscal responsibility as core organizational objectives.
- Preserve landfill capacity through waste diversion activities for both the residential and commercial sector. Waste diversion activities include recycling, composting, management of hazardous waste, construction/demolition material and any future opportunities for waste diversion.
- Implement necessary protocols and procedures that will monitor incoming landfill loads and ensure only waste is being disposed of in the landfill.
- Receive and process fibre and container recyclables in our Material Recovery Facility using the most appropriate technology that will maximize diversion and recover revenue through the sale of products to end markets.
- Receive and process food, leaf and yard waste in our Organics Processing Facilities using the most appropriate technology that will maximize diversion and recover revenue through the sale of a valuable soil amendment.
- Ensure hazardous waste and waste electronic equipment is received and processed in the most environmentally appropriate methods. Feasible methods of recycling will be used when available.
- Receive and process construction and demolition material including shingles, drywall, wood, brush, tires and concrete. Materials will be reused or recycled when markets are available.
- Provide support and education to the community to assist them with increasing their waste diversion activities.
Last revised: June 17th, 2009