Algonquin Park has implemented an Integrated Waste Management System (Highway 60 Corridor & Achray Campground). The Goals and Objectives of the Integrated Waste Management System are:
- Reduce Park generation of waste and exceed provincial waste diversion target of 60%
- Provide convenient opportunities for Park users and Staff Members to participate in diversion programs
- Provide detailed annual reports on waste removal and generation
- Implement best practices to improve efficiency, reduce costs and increase diversion
- Establish Algonquin Park as a leader in environmentally responsible waste management
The Integrated Waste Management System utilizes the MOLOK Deep Collection Technology . Recyclables (Paper & Containers), Organics, and Garbage will be collected and processed by the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre.
At present the Park has 149 MOLOKs in place. In 2009, Algonquin Park installed additional MOLOKs at the Algonquin Art Gallery and the Costello Creek Picnic Area as well as an Organics MOLOK at the Canisbay and Rock Lake campgrounds. MOLOKs were added to Achray Campground in 2014.
In 2012, Algonquin Provincial Park received the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario’s Recognition Award for increasing waste diversion from 20% in 2004 to over 40% in 2011. Park staff continues to work towards their goal of 60% diversion of waste from landfill.